Winter is officially here. For parents, that means finding new and different ways to keep the family entertained – especially when colder temperatures force you to spend more time indoors.
There are plenty of reasons to play outside with your kids, even in the winter months. But sometimes, the limited daylight and unpredictable weather makes it necessary to pass the time inside.
Luckily, playing inside doesn’t have to mean resorting to video games or movies. Here are some fun ways to bring outdoor activities inside this winter.
7 Indoor Winter Activities for Families
- Create a scavenger hunt. The challenge of searching for hidden treasure is often relegated to the backyard. But there’s no reason you can’t grab some items to tuck away around your home instead. Create a list of clues or riddles to help your kids during their search. A hidden stash of candy or a new toy can serve as a great incentive for completing the hunt.
- Picnic in your living room. Push your furniture aside and spread out your picnic blanket across the floor. Enjoy an indoor twist on the classic summer picnic with one of these creative dinner options, and consider asking your child to help with the cooking. Then, share a meal just like you would on a warm, sunny day.
- Camp out indoors. Put up a tent in the living room or basement for a simulated night under the stars. Have your kids grab their sleeping bags, pillows, and blankets for a campsite-inspired sleepover. You can even light the fireplace if you have one (just be sure to follow these home heating safety tips). Climb inside the tent, share some campfire stories and enjoy a slumber party they’ll talk about all winter long.
- Cook campfire food. Instead of starting a bonfire in your backyard, roast some marshmallows on skewers over your stovetop. Keep a close eye on kiddos around the open flame, or opt for flameless microwave s’mores instead. Grab some graham crackers and chocolate, and enjoy s’mores with your kids in your indoor tent.
- Play hide and seek. Some games, like hide and seek, remain timeless classics. Sneak into a closet or behind a bed as your child counts to 10 inside. Ready or not, here they come!
- Play volleyball with a balloon. Clear some space in your living room – you’ll need all the room you can get. Blow up a balloon and divide into two teams. Then, practice hitting the balloon back and forth without letting it touch the ground.
- Plant an indoor garden. Find some plants from your local garden center to test out your green thumb. Have your kids help you water and nurture them regularly. And be sure to consider these tips to pick your perfect houseplant.
Thinking outside the box can go a long way in helping you beat cabin fever. No matter what weather this winter brings, Erie Insurance will be there to help keep your home protected. Contact an agent in your neighborhood to learn about homeowners insurance from ERIE.
A better insurance experience starts with ERIE.
Haven’t heard of us? Erie Insurance started with humble beginnings in 1925 with a mission to emphasize customer service above all else. Though we’ve grown to reach the Fortune 500 list, we still haven’t lost the human touch.
Contact Feger Insurance Agency LLC today to experience the ERIE difference for yourself.